Day 1:Tuesday 6th November
8.30 – 9:00 Registration, Coffee & Tea
9.00 – 9:10 Introduction by Hussein Allawi, Chief Executive Officer, Frontier Exchange
9.10 – 9:20 Welcome by Arab Mining Lead Sponsor
9.20 – 11:00 Arab Mining: the Final Frontier in Global Mining
- The role of government in facilitating exploration and development of mineral resources: the importance of open data.
- The Arab World: “more than just oil & gas”.
- Exploring the mineral potential of the region: updates on planned and future projects.
- How can the Arab World be made more appealing for mining investment?
- H.E. Eng Hilal Al Busaidi, Chief Executive of the Public Authority for Mining, Sultanate of Oman
- H.E. General Mohamed Ahmed Ali Ibrahim, Minister of Minerals, Republic of Sudan
- H.E Mr Aziz Rabbah, Minister of Energy, Mines and Sustainable Development – Kingdom of Morocco
- ENG. Husain M Alotaibi, President, Saudi Geological Survey
11.00 – 11:30 Networking Coffee Break / Ministerial Tour of the Exhibition
11.30 – 11.50 The Saudi Mining Industry: Latest Updates and Investment Opportunities [Spotlight Presentation]
- Vision 2030: Mining as a key pillar for diversification and growth in Saudi Arabia
- Ma’aden: the principal stakeholder in the development of mining in the Kingdom
- Opportunities for collaboration and partnership with Ma’aden and other Saudi stakeholders
- Mr Khaled Alohali, Vice President, Corporate Strategic Affairs, Saudi Arabian Mining Company – Ma’aden
11.50 – 13:00 Unearthing Mineral Riches in the Horn of Africa
- Mining Opportunities in the Horn and East of Africa
- Country Focus Opportunities: Somalia, Djibouti, Ethiopia
- Exploring Colaboration Opportunities between East Africa and the Middle East
- H.E Yonis Ali Guedi, Minister of Energy for Sustainable Development, Djibouti
- H.E. ENG. Abdirashid Ahmed Mohamed, Minister of Petroleum and Mining – Somalia
- Almaz Belayneh, Advisor to H.E. the Minister of Mines, Petroleum and Natural Gas, Ethiopia
- Dr Mohamed Abu Fatima, Director General, Geological Research Authority of Sudan (GRAS)
- Mr Nasr Eldin Elhussein, General Manager, Arab Mining Company
13:00 – 14:00 Lunch
14:00 – 14:20 Financing Mining Projects in the Arab World [Spotlight Presentation]
- Environmental and social considerations to enable successful mining investment
- Community and broader stakeholder engagement
- Ignacio de Calonje, Chief Investment Officer, Oil, Gas and Mining, IFC
14:20 – 15:30 The Mining Sector in Oman: Mineral Opportunities and the New Development Strategy
- Capitalising on the Sultanate’a abundant mineral wealth: Economic Diversification and Oman’s New Mining Strategy
- Enhancing mining and exploration activity. Developing Oman’s downstream and mineral processing industries
- Port infrastructure to serve the needs of mining in Oman. Oman’s potential as a regional hub for manufacturing and mineral processing
- The Geology of Oman: Metalliferous and Industrial Mineral Potential
- Tarik Mohammed Al Junaidi, Chief Executive Officer, Oman Shipping Company
- Justin Richard, CEO, Alara Resources
- Additional Speakers TBC
15:30 – 16:00 Networking Coffee Break
16:00 – 17:00 Investor Perceptions of Arab Mining [Panel Discussion]
- Investment flows into global mining: key drivers
- Key requirements for Equity Raising: what do investors want?
- Private vs. Public capital: financing solutions for exploration and development.
- The Arab World: an international investor’s perspective
- Matthew Gordon, Director, Ptolemy Capital
- Rama Ayman, CEO, MMG Capital
- Amanda Van Dyke, Portfolio Manager, South River Asset Management
- Marco Roque, Director, Emerging Markets Capital
19:00 – 22:00 Arab Mining Gala Dinner
Day 2: Wednesday 7th November
9.00 – 9:20 Welcome and Summary of Day 1 of the Conference
9.20 – 9:40 Global Mining and Minerals: Market Update
- Opportunities for raising equity and debt capital through initial public offerings
- Post-BREXIT: examining London’s capability as a centre of global mine finance.
- Tom Attenborough, Head of International Business Development – Primary Markets, London Stock Exchange Group
9.40 – 11:00 Designing Modern Mining Codes to Attract FDI
- A comparison of mining regimes in the Arab World.
- Legal considerations to enable successful project development: security of tenure, open and equal access
- Political trends in the Arab World and their impact on investments.
- Assessment and management of political and stakeholder risks.
- Alex Bevacqua, Head of Metals and Mining Consulting, Wood Mackenzie
- Dr Mowafa Taib, Physical Scientist, US Geological Survey
- Peter Cross, President, Yaqut SAS
- Anass Joundy, Principal Banker, Natural Resources, EBRD
11.00 – 11:30 Networking Coffee Break
11:30 – 11:50 Spotlight Presentation
- Business development activities and cooperation programmes in MENA countries
- Case Studies of mineral resource projects in Moroco (phosphates, base metals), Sudan (gold), and Saudi Arabia (base metals & gold).
- Dr Jerome Perrin, Middle East and North Africa Manager, BRGM
11:50 – 12:30 The Arabian Nubian Shield
- Arabian-Nubian Shield – World Class Prospectivity with Pro-Development Governments
- Operating Mines in the Arabian Nubian Shield.
- Emerging Juniors with regional operations.
- Planned and future project opportunities
- Chris Bargmann, Exploration Manager, QMSD
- Lester Kemp, Managing Director, Arabian Nubian Resources
- Dr Tim Williams, Chief Executive Officer, Andiamo Exploration
- Chris Hall, Chief Executive Officer, Thani Stratex Resources
12:30 – 13:00 Opportunities and Challenges to Investing in the Arab World [Workshop]
- Complex, high value disputes and disputes avoidance in the MENA Region.
- A comparison of global mining regimes: in search of the perfect model.
- Key considerations to enable successful mining investment: tax, foreign ownership, and contract negotiations.
- Sponsorship Opportunity [Law Firm]
13:00 – 14:00 Lunch
14:00 – 15:00 Arab Mining and Minerals – Corporate Presentations
- Leading Producing Mines and Exploration Companies with operations in the Arab World will give individual 15 minute company presentations
15:00 – 16:00 Mining Innovation and Technology
- Cutting-edge Technologies and Innovation in the mining Value-Chain
- Airborne Geophysics
- Realtime Exploration
- Mine Reclamation
- Geomodelling and data management
- Prospecting and Extraction
16.00 – 16:15 Networking Coffee Break
16:15 – 17:00 Opportunities and Challenges to Developing the Arab Mining Industry (Panel Discussion)
- Discussion Points:
- Enhancing Investor Confidence in Arab Mining and Minerals
- Technical and Technological Capabilities: International Best Practices
- Designing modern mining codes to attract FDI
- Transparency and Good Governance